Adventures in Africa



Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I am trying my best to have the same outlook and excitement about what I do here as I did in Kenya. Today I went to watch my mom curl. You know, like curling, the winter sport? I used to curl when I was in grade 7 and 8. It was what made me so popular back then. :)

Then I found a great pair of Kenneth Cole pants for really cheap at Winners, this store that sells brand-name clothes at affordable prices. Imagine! I envision myself wearing said pants to an interview where I knock them dead and get the job on the spot. Such are the day dreams playing out in my head these days.

While I was in the mall I saw that we have a store in Sault Ste. Marie that is called "SABERS" and it sells... SWORDS AND SHIELDS! (And sabers I am assuming). What is this world coming to? Seriously, is such a store necessary? Slightly frightening that there is enough demand for swords and shields that warrants a store be in the mall providing such goods for 365 days a year.

Tonight I pretended I was a teacher and went to a teacher mingling party with my teacher friends. I got free appetizers and got to watch Rob perform in a kind of retro soul band. They were really good.

But I have some potentially terrible news. I have been having these weird allergic reactions nearly every time I eat since landing in London (it seems) and even more so since I have been in Canada. And tonight I figured out what it is that is making my throat itchy and swollen. It is ALCOHOL! Is that not nuts? I drank so much in Kenya and had NO PROBLEMS and now back in Canada I have a few sips of wine or beer and my throat is totally itchy. I'm not sure what to do about it but I'm trying not to think about it too much. My whole world is changing. How could this happen!?!?!?


3 Responses to “Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    hmmm... maybe Kenya is calling you back ;)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I somewhat pity you. Probably because I know the "this-is-certainly-not-Kenya" feeling. It's a shame that Kenya isn't all it could be.

    You may not know it, but you partially opened up that "all-white" world that most Kenyans know exists and accept as a no-go zone. One that ensures that the "wealthy" white is kept free of the pestilence the random Kenyan may present.

    On the other hand you spent time with Kenyans in their world. You welcomed the random Kenyan.

    It's sad to think that I'll not read about Kat in Kenya any more. It's been a very confusing blog for me, because I could not and still do not know how to rate you. I genuinely think you ought to be a journalist.

    Take care and Karibu Kenya.

    Kenneth.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Alcohol needs certain enzymes to be broken down. When those enzymes are gone, you get reactions (like lactose intolerance. Drinking lots of milk lowers the lactase, making milk undigestable.). One solution is to stay away from it for a while and eat a diet rich in raw dark greens, healthy yogurts, seeds and nuts and stuff, and fruits. All these 'natural' foods contain enzymes which aid in digestion. One theory in the rise of food allergies is that we simply don't eat enough of the raw stuff to replenish our system!
    Just my two cents, hopefully you aren't bored to death by them.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3