Adventures in Africa



Bananas vs Oranges


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



There is a war of fruit going on here in Kenya. On November 21 a new proposed draft of the constitution will be voted on in a referendum that is shaking up the country. The "Yes" side is symbolized by a banana and the "No" side with an orange. It is unbelievably crazy. Some of the people who are against the new constitution reforms are even boycotting buying bananas while this fight is on. There have been a few riots and some major demonstrations. People are very emotional about politics here. But I'm wondering how many people will actually have the chance to read the whole thing through! I mean, people are definitely talking about it - everywhere - all the time! But it's REALLY long - 199 pages! And despite many copies being distributed (and available online) I think it would help if there was a summarized version (at least for me!!). Here's the link if you are interested...

A lot of the debate centres around how much power President Kibaki would get. But there are massive changes that are just kind of going under the radar because other issues are just getting more press. It's a pretty big deal and I'm enjoying the debat that is surrounding it - although I have to say that from what I've read I think I would side with the Oranges if I had a vote. The new constitution really works backwards concerning women & children's health issues and rights in some areas - at least according to what I've read and heard. But I'm not voting. I'm just watching and learning.

Tonight Tim left! So now of the original 4, there is just Lauren and I. We have other friends now too but it is strange that both Tim and Darryl are gone... at least I inherited some of their stuff (shampoo, toilet paper etc) before they left! Something to remember them by.

Otherwise things are great. I'm looking forward to my weekend of more climbing and hiking and camping. The weather seems to be improving (finally) but I'm not putting my fleece away just yet!

And the postcards will be mailed sometime early next week!! Last call for requests!!


0 Responses to “Bananas vs Oranges”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3