Adventures in Africa



Rip offs and Climbing Again


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



One thing that bothers me here is people trying to rip me off constantly because I'm a visible foreigner. Everything from in the matatu to at shops to taxis. I am constantly being told one price when I know that the real price is substantially lower. What results is constant fighting and telling people that I KNOW the price locals pay - and why are they not giving me that price? Blah Blah Blah. But it's frustrating.

Also frustrating is that I am hoping to update the Kat in Kenya site (as there have been some problems with it) and my internet access likes to disconnect when I am actually working on something important. When I have no one to email or nothing to do - it is on constantly.

On a brighter note, I went to the Mountain Club of Kenya meeting tonight. The people there are so varied and interesting. I met a Japanese diplomat, more people who work at the UN (UN people OWN this town) and a local who is a personal trainer. It looks like I might be going climbing again!! YEAH! This weekend there is a trip out to Hell s Gate National Park for climbing and hiking and biking and one night of camping. If I can manage to find a tent to sleep in (and a ride) then I am definitely going.

I don t know if I have stressed this enough before- but I have realized that getting out of Nairobi at least once a month is necessary for your sanity. Great city - but the craziness and hassles get to you after a while.


0 Responses to “Rip offs and Climbing Again”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3