Adventures in Africa



What I did this weekend


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



What I did this weekend:
1) Went to dinner at a place called "Tacos" which has a logo that is eerily similar to the Taco Bell logo. It wasn't bad. Not fast food but far from gourmet.
2) Met up with friends at Klubhouse 1 or "K1" for short. Pool tables, big patio, looks like a big hunting lodge from the outside. The best part was watching a bunch of people dancing in a circle to cheesy music - it looked fake - they were all smiling big smiles and dancing all joyfully and almost exaggerated - like Carlton Banks dancing from Fresh Prince - you know? It was hilarious but it made me really happy. They were so sincere.
3) Attended a house warming of a person who I didnt know - it was all francophones attending (except me) - from Canada, Senegal, France, Morocco - but I actually understood most of everything they were saying. This has prompted me to scrap the plan for Swahili lessons and I will take French instead. It is really cheap to take these lessons here and it hopefully wont take me too long to catch on. French is marginally more useful to know than Swahili.
4) Went to a great bar called "Casablanca" that really made you feel like you were in Morocco - sand on the ground and huge firepits at each table outside. It was great. The music was far from North African, but I'm sure they listen to Kylie Minogue in Morocco too.
5) Bought some shoes at a used clothing market. I know this will gross some of you people who have foot issues out there - but they are practically brand new! And SO cheap! Great little suede pumas for only $8CAN.

Now, I rest. Tomorrow, in honour of Labour Day (and the fact that my visa expires on Thursday), I will skip work and wait all day in line at the immigration office to renew my visa for 3 more months. Not that I have been here for 3 months yet, but my visa expires this week because little miss smarty pants (me) got her visa a month in advance. Oy vey.


2 Responses to “What I did this weekend”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hey Kat:

    ...do they have labour day in Kenya?

    Karen

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    sorry kat I missed the obvious...you answered that one in your entry

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3