Adventures in Africa



French & Matatus


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My first French class was today. It felt really nice walking out of work at 3:30! I realized when I got to class that I was placed in the 2nd level. When I had signed up for the class I embarrassingly told the receptionist that I was from Canada and had SOME background in French but lost most of my speaking ability when I went to Denmark and learned Danish. He looked at me strangely and asked me to take a proficiency test. Not that I needed time to prepare but I was caught a little off guard to be handed a 5 page exam and sent to an empty classroom. After much sweating and swearing I finished and watched nervously as they marked it. They kind of half chuckled as they handed me back the test and said - "Your passe compose need a lot of work". And I saw a big 50% on the test. I was actually pleased! Wow, I may not be put in an advanced class but at least I got 50%!!! Not bad for not speaking any french for close to 10 years. But I guess my level of ability was enough to put me in Level DEUX!

My class is a group of 8 Kenyans and me. It is fun and we even had to do a presentation today! Soon I'll be writing my posts in French. Or not.

On the way home in the matatu I once again realized how relaxing I find them to be. It's this weird atmosphere where no one speaks but everything is extremely efficient. When the matatu taut (the guy who recruits people to come and take that specific matatu & also collects the money) collects the money, it is done wordlessly, just a tap on the shoulder and the process is done. If he can't reach the shoulder's of the people in the front seat, he'll tap the nearest person's shoulder and then they tap & collect the money from the people in the front. If you want to get out at the next stop - you either nod at or tap the taut and he uses a coin to tap the side of the door to alert the driver to the upcoming stop. This all occurs either with blasting music (everything ranging from Bob Marley to Snoop Dogg to Celine Dion) or complete silence.

It's nice. I hope nothing changes my zen-like perception of the matatu experience.

One last thing - it's postcard season! If anyone wants to request a postcard - click on the side tab that says "Email Me!" and email me your address. I'll try my best.


0 Responses to “French & Matatus”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3