Adventures in Africa



Movin' on up


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



This week I moved in to my new place (with the help of my parents). It was relatively quick and painless. The only problem I face now is that much of the apartment is currently under renovation and thus other than my room, it is mass-chaos everywhere else with boxes and furniture from the rooms under renovation in all extra spaces. At this point though I am just worrying about my room and getting myself all settled in. So far so good.

People in Toronto often seem in bad moods. I think I am realizing that my time in Nairobi was more akin to spending time in a small community than a big city (which it was) because within my neighborhood I got to know a lot of people and they sure recognized me quickly. Also, as far as the expat community went, it was pretty easy to pick out people you knew if you were in a crowded marketplace! And people were all just so friendly there. People sneer here more.

Although I have to say that no one has tried to rip me off yet because of my skin colour. But CRAP everything has gotten SO EXPENSIVE! Prices have risen so much in the past 9 months. I will need a job a lot faster than I expected at this point!

I'm still wrestling with whether or not I should continue some type of blog. I want to but I just am having a hard time coming up with things to say other than me complaining about things. I don't want to be so negative.

I like it here, don't get me wrong. It is just this adjustment period that is a bit painful.


1 Responses to “Movin' on up”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    But according to the Nation Brand Index, we're the 3rd most desirable place to visit in the world (!).

    Canada ranked as the number one nation for the image of its people. Consumers responded to such questions as: "I would like to have a person from this country as a close friend."

    I'm sure Toronto didn't have too much of an impact on the fact that we're not number one. We don't, after all, have deep fried Mars Bars.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3