Adventures in Africa



Hockey Night in Kenya


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Last night I played ice hockey for the first time in my life – and it was in Kenya. How messed up is that!?! It started a few weeks ago when a group of researchers from Winnipeg were coming to complete some work in Nairobi and an American architect (who has lived in Kenya for 10 years) who works with them decided to organize a game at the new PanAfric Hotel Ice Skating Rink! The Winnipegger's brought some sticks and pucks and a local carpenter made a few as well. You can read a news article about the first game here.

The visitors from Winnipeg are back in Canada now but some Canadians, Americans and Europeans still gather every second week to play. I was the only girl who showed up this week and although I was far from great, I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly (then again, I had low expectations of my skill level!). Some of the players are absolutely great and it was just so much fun to be on the ice and playing hockey! I think I will try and take it up when I get back to Canada.

I fell a few times and have huge welts on both of my knees but I'm proud of the battle scars and hoping that there is at least one more game that I can attend and play before I leave.


0 Responses to “Hockey Night in Kenya”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3