Adventures in Africa



Dreamz


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have been having these weird nightmares lately that a black or a green mamba (venomous snakes) are going to bite me in my sleep. It is strange. Mostly I wake up in the night, still half asleep and check under my bed to see if there are any snakes there. Then I usually am so tired that I decide just to go to sleep as to stay away looking for them would be more irritating than it would if I just go to sleep and allow myself to be bitten. I blame this Roald Dahl autobiography (Going Solo) that I recently read about his time working in East Africa and his traumatizing experiences with a black and a green mamba snake. It is a great book and I would highly recommend it.

These dreams are most likely the result of the anti-malaria medication that I am taking which warns that side effects may include psychotic episodes, vivid dreams, hallucinations, and depression. Other than the vivid dreams I don't think I have experienced any of the other symptoms (other than my usual psychoticness).

A terribly funny thing happened on my trip in Botswana We had been sleeping in wet tents on wet sleeping mats for a few days and some of us decided to rent a cabin at the next campsite to have some luxury for one night. There were 4 girls in my cabin and Nicola (from the UK) was sleeping in the bed next to me – both of us had mosquito nets over our beds. That night I was woken up to Nicola sitting up in her bed shouting “Somebody help me! Somebody help me!”. I was still completely groggy but I sat up in my bed and looked at her through the mosquito net and asked her what was wrong. She pointed and said “They're getting in! The lions are getting in!” I was having a hard time seeing in the dark through the mosquito net to where she was pointing, plus I had NO idea what she was talking about so I started to look around for the lions and asked her where they were. It was then I think she totally woke up and quietly said “never mind, I was just dreaming” and rolled over and went back to sleep. I took one last look to make sure the lions weren't there and then went back to sleep.

Apparently one of the other girls had woken up when Nicola started yelling and witnessed the whole bizarre incident and thought we were both nuts. Anti-malaria medication is fun.


0 Responses to “Dreamz”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3