Adventures in Africa



Buy a flight - get a sauna for free!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My remaining time in Zanzibar was spent on the beach, reading a crappy novel that I borrowed from the hostel library, and going swimming every 45 minutes or so. I had sunset cocktails (referred to as "sundowner's" in east Africa) with 2 girls I met who are also travelling solo. The banana daiquiris were superb.

On Friday, I took the bus back to Stone Town and head to the airport. It was cooler weather and even a bit rainy so it made it easier to leave. But once I got to the airport it was just hot and humid. I was hoping the airport would be air conditioned. It wasn't. So I was sitting there sweating (and when I say sweating I mean that my face was dripping with perspiration) and I was thinking - at least it will be nice and cool on the plane. No. No air conditioning on the plane. And the little blowy fan things didn't work either. It was hotter on the plane than it was outside. I wanted to suggest opening a window but thought no one would appreciate my humor in the situation. It was a very long and tortuous ride. One great thing was that we flew over Mount Kilimanjaro. It was beautiful and mostly clear at the top so we got a great view. One day I'll climb it. One day...

When I got back to Nairobi I was so relieved. It was so nice to have cell phone service and be able to negotiate with the taxi drivers for a price that I KNEW was fair. And to talk about the recent developments in Kenyan politics with the cab driver on the way back. I was just so glad to be back. I really missed the place.

I'm staying with my friend Alla this week. She is actually leaving for Swaziland tomorrow (I think she is hoping to seduce the king and become wife #11) so I will have her place while she is gone. After that, I am not sure who or where I am staying but something will work itself out I am sure. For now, I am just happy to be back, see my friends again, and have a clean toilet and shower to use.

Photos will be uploaded hopefully sometime this week. There are a lot of them. Brace yourself!

In other East Africa news - PLEASE read Becca's post on a recent news article published in the Kampala newspaper. It really is just another world here.


0 Responses to “Buy a flight - get a sauna for free!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3