Adventures in Africa



Floating in turquoise


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The beaches here in Nungwi are amazing. White sand, turquoise water. It is nice too because it is fairly deep so you can swim for most of the day, even when the tide it out. It is strange that it seems fake? Like it is too lovely to be real. I keep thinking I am swimming in a pool, not the ocean.

I went to a full moon party that was held in conjunction with a music festival as well as Valentines day. I ran into 2 Canadians I had met initially in Nairobi and we arranged transport by boat to head about 5km down the beach where the party was. I had seen other people piling into these boats and heading over but I wasn't prepared for the utter terror that was to unfold as we head off on our journey. First of all, they completely overloaded the boat. There were people on all sides, on the roof, hanging off the mast. So we were sinking and tipping into the water right from the get-go. This didn't bother me much though because it was quite shallow where we were and it would have been quite easy to swim to shore if the boat sank or something. Easy. The thing that worried me was the smell of gasoline and the number of people smoking! Seriously people - when do petrol and fire ever mix nicely?? I mentioned it to the driver and he actually cleared all the drunken smokers away from the rear of the boat where the jerry-cans of gas were sitting. I mean, it may have just been diesel... I hear that diesel only burns, it doesn't explode...

In the end there were no fireworks display on the boat and we got there fine and enjoyed a concert and lots of dancing. On the way back we were lucky to find a boat that was just heading back empty (there were only 4 of us as passengers instead of 25 as on the other boat) and the only incident was the poor Canadian girl puking over the side of the boat as her boyfriend held her hair back. Happy Valentines Day indeed!

I stay one more day here on the beach and fly back to Nairobi tomorrow evening. I am actually excited to go back. Can it be that I am all holiday'd out?


0 Responses to “Floating in turquoise”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3