Adventures in Africa



Free Press???


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Read this.

Once again Kenya's government has illustrated how unbelievably corrupt and messed up they are. There was a police raid on a major Kenyan newspaper and a tv station and arrests and interrogation of journalists early this morning after the government didn't like how the media covered a story this past weekend. 3 journalists are in jail. Computers and broadcasting equipment have been detained or destroyed. Holy Crap!

The worst part of this is that in my online searching this morning and watching the CNN and BBC International news there is little to no coverage of this in the international press! So who is going to put the pressure on the Kenyan government to stop these kind of atrocities? Apparently the trial of
Gary Glitter is far more important.

This place is absolutely insane. Yesterday I was helping Lauren move out and her landlord was trying to get out of giving her back her deposit. Lauren has a signed contract stating that she should get that money back and the landlord was trying to say that because of a miscommunication the money went to an agent and she might not be able to get it back. Lauren said, "But I have a legal document stating that I will get this money back" and the landlady said "Well, I can make a new legal document!"

No wonder the locals have no respect or understanding of the law! The government has a complete disregard for the law and people's rights!!!

ANYWAY... I need to calm down. Things are NEVER boring here. NEVER. That isn't always a good thing.


1 Responses to “Free Press???”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Kat,
    Imagine, I must say that those events outraged Kenyans all over. I'm a Kenyan in Ohio and i have to admit that I have lived vicariously through your travels. Reading your blog has made me want to put more thought in traveling around Africa when I am home next. I hope overall your experience in Kenya had more good than bad. Otherwise i have to get back to work. Imagine! :o)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3