Adventures in Africa



3 Month Report


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Yes - as of Friday it will be 3 months. Where does the time go? Well, it's not like I haven't been busy.

Things about Nairobi that you stop noticing after a while:

  1. Bars on all the windows

  2. The constant honking (or hooting as they call it here)

  3. The fact that you are one of the only non-Africans

  4. The lack of air conditioning


Things about Nairobi that I can already tell I will miss:

  1. The weather – although I complained about it initially – it is never very humid here, it is sunny and warm in the day and cooler in the evening – which allows for a great sleep at night.

  2. Inexpensive & delicious fruit and vegetables

  3. Inexpensive public transportation

  4. The music. I'm mostly exposed to this in the matatus but everything from Reggae to R&B to some of the local-style music – it is great!

  5. The food – there are some great restaurants that I love – Nyama Choma joints, the Indian restaurants, and the Ethiopian (probably one of my new favourite types of food)!!!

  6. Inexpensive Tailors – pants hemmed for 50cents? How about making a brand new pair of pants for only a few dollars? I am going to try and take advantage of this service as much as possible before my departure!!


I am realizing that I am a bit of a compulsive list-maker. Yikes.

Postcards went out last week. The race is on. Free postcard of your choice for the first person to email me to tell me they got it!

Met someone at Mountain Club meeting tonight who used to live around the corner from me in Toronto on the Danforth. We talked about the old neighbourhood. Made me miss it a bit. Especially the tzatziki. I'm tearing up a bit!! Oh wait - that is just the memory of the lethal amount of garlic in that stuff!

3 months down. I wonder what will happen in the next 5 months?!?


1 Responses to “3 Month Report”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hey Kathryn! Glad you're still enjoying your time there. I like the new design! :)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3