Adventures in Africa



Just your average day in Nairobi


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A few things I have seen over the past couple of days that I realize don't even faze me anymore: Yesterday, driving to Indian food - there were a bunch of kids paying soccer. The thing that made it interesting was that it was 8pm, dark out, they were street kids and they all had bottles in their mouths with glue in them so they could inhale the glue fumes while playing soccer. Wow, great way to multi-task!

Today was another protest downtown Nairobi - of all the protests that go on in this city this is the first one I have encountered while on foot walking into town (to meet some friends for lunch). It was to protest the police raid of the newspaper and TV station and promote free speech. Despite the large number of people it was very peaceful and seemed well organized. I was tempted to join the march but figure it might be a bad idea - seeing as many of these protests usually end in someone getting shot "accidentally" by the police.

Because of the protest, the traffic was particularly bad. The matatus took matters into their own hands and drove on the sidewalks instead of the road. I'm telling you, these Kenyan matatu drivers are innovative. They think outside the box.


0 Responses to “Just your average day in Nairobi”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3