Adventures in Africa



The good news is.. I'm PSYCHIC!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Long-lost relative, originally uploaded by Kattaka.

On Sunday night I had a dream that I lent my day pack that attaches to my big pack to Dominic and Rebecca (my Canadian friends visiting from Uganda) but that they never gave it back to me so I had nothing to attach to my big pack and I was disappointed.

The next day I went into work and they head down town to get some things done and check out a few of Nairobi's attractions. It turns out they went out for lunch at a Chicken & Chips place (very common around here) and that Dominic put the backpack he borrowed from me on the floor under his chair while he was eating and when they got up to leave it was gone. ARGH. Why do people come to this city and instantly get robbed? Yet anyone I know who lives here has never had any instances like this? How will I ever get people to believe that Nairobi is a great and safe (if you are somewhat street smart) place to be?

My first reaction when they told me the news was of excitement that my dream came true and that I really am psychic. Thoughts of supplementing my income by having my own psychic hotline filled my head. My second thoughts were of disappointment in that Rebecca and Dominic will forever remember Nairobi as the place they got 'robbed'. Thirdly I just wanted my backpack back. Turns out that Dominic was carrying the pack but most of the things lost were Rebecca's or mine. Nothing expensive – no cameras or passports or money – just her guidebook, her umbrella, his shirt, her Nalgene water bottle, and my backpack.

But at least we all know now that I can see into the future. Right?! I promise to use my powers for good and not evil.

Yesterday I took the day off work and the 3 of us did a morning drive through Nairobi National Park. There are so many animals in that park – which is shocking considering how close it is to the city. The afternoon we bartered our way through the Maasai market and got some good deals. There was no more thieving although Dominic says he wants a t-shirt that says "I got robbed in Nairobbery". I'm trying not to take it personally. I just feel so protective of the city and its terrible reputation. I don't know why.


2 Responses to “The good news is.. I'm PSYCHIC!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    By the way - thanks for chronicling your adventures in your blog. I've been following you (geez, that makes me sound like a stalker, no?) since "dyslexic spelling bee" and I enjoy the brief respites from my particular dungeon of a job. Don't get me wrong - I'm grateful though (he said, looking around to see if God was standing behind him with that "oh too familiar" look on His face). Anyway, you're much appreciated...
    Henry
    henrybrennan.blogspot.com

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thanks! Glad you like it!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3