Adventures in Africa



A Different Perspective


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



















Friends from Canada are visiting. But they didn't have to journey very far to get here – they are in similar placements to mine but in Kampala, Uganda. It is so nice to see familiar faces from back home even though we only really met each other during our pre-departure training. I also love to hear their reactions to Nairobi and the comparisons to how they are getting on in Uganda. Even though I have been here for only 3 and a half months, I already don't even notice many of the things that go on around me any more.

Things they pointed out:

Sarit Centre – the mall where we met – they were surprised at the Western-style shopping mall and goods available. It is a big change from most of the rest of this part of Africa and most of Kenya as well – you normally would do your shopping in stalls on the side of the road, a market, or little shops in a commercial area.

Dorman's – a great little place to go for Starbucks or Second Cup substitutes – all kinds of coffees and cappuccinos – but they serve fairly good food as well. Nothing even remotely Kenyan about the food – although the coffee is from here. But it is strange to get freshly brewed coffee in Kenya. Believe it or not most locals drink the INSTANT sludge instead of brewed. Coffee is viewed as really expensive and most people just stick to the sweet milky tea.

My apartment compound – I hadn't pointed out which building I lived in yet when Dominic said – 'Is that a prison?!' and he was pointing to the compound I am in. I never really looked at it that way! But it has high walls surrounding it with barbed wire everywhere and the guards and the dog... OK, I guess the security is a little major but that is a necessity in Kenya. Uganda is much safer and they can even walk around at night there! They were also shocked at the rent prices – they pay about a quarter of what I do. But the fact that my apartment had a back up generator for the frequent power outages was seen as a bonus.

Security - They were quite surprised about all the security you have to go though in order to get into most buildings. Even when we went to Carnivore (the restaurant where you get to eat things like Crocodile and Camel and basically all the meat you can eat) – they were shocked when the driver had to open his trunk to check for bombs or hidden passengers in order to be allowed into the compound. I just shrug these things off because they happen so much (I get patted down and go through a metal detector before I am allowed into my French classes).


2 Responses to “A Different Perspective”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Um, do you have any African friends in Kenya?

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Of course I do... why would you think I don't? I'm confused.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3