Adventures in Africa



Joined a gym


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I joined a gym today. Its not that I feel like Im getting flabby or anything - there actually isnt much that I would normally over-eat with that is readily available to me here (other than my new favourite - roasted goat). It is just on my way home from work and probably a good way to fill up my evenings. Lauren and I are going to start Swahili lessons in September - although Ill probably only go once a week because its a bit far from my place. And really, Im learning all the useful phrases already - whether it be my coworkers teaching me swears or other local friends teaching us other key phrases. Soon Ill be writing all my posts in Swahili. Sleep is "lala". Easy to remember - just think of "lala land". You can all learn with me!!

The gym is quite nice - sauna, cheap massages (about $10 for a half hour), pool, squash courts, etc. Today I did a spinning class. This is not really the way I pictured my stay in Kenya but it was actually really fun. Sometimes hard to understand the instructor who has a really strong accent when he is yelling instructions and encouraging us... the music was also quite interesting - a mix of your usual gym pump me up music and then some Kenyan beats mixed in for a few of the songs. The gym is filled mostly with western expats and people from the nearby Indian community but thats typical for the neighborhood. Besides, not many Kenyans go to the gym. They dont really need to - its not really an overweight community and its pretty typical for people to engage in heavy labour or youll even see office workers in suits walking both ways to work (sometimes over an hour each way) in order to save money. Its a different world. And here I am in a spinning class...


0 Responses to “Joined a gym”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3