Adventures in Africa



More Europe than Africa


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I am in Cape Town. It is a beautiful, modern city. But it is freaking me out. It really doesn't feel like Africa. The Nike store is across from the KFC. The computers are fast. There are no dirt roads or people pushing carts down the streets or ladies balancing impossibly huge bundles on their heads as they walk down the sidewalk. There are nice cars here and even a Camper shoe store. I am feeling conflicted about the amount of consumerism here. I forgot what it was like. I think I will have a harder time adapting to the western world than I thought. At first I was excited about all the stores with the pretty things in them. CHOICE! VARIETY! Nice smells, textures! But it just seems wrong. Unnecessary. Everything I thought I missed about big cities is here but I realize I don't really miss it that much.

Regardless, it is a gorgeous city. Table Mountain looming over the city is breathtaking. I went to Robben Island yesterday (the jail island where Nelson Mandela was held) and hung out at the waterfront and walked around the city (they even have a pedestrian shopping street). I can see why this place is named as one of the most beautiful cities in the world. If I wasn't suffering from culture shock coming from Nairobi I probably wouldn't want to leave. It reminds me a lot of Vancouver or San Francisco or even Barcelona.

I saw penguins yesterday at Robben Island. This too seems out of place. It is amazing, gorgeous weather and the penguins were lounging by the water or sunning themselves in the sand! I really feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. A really beautiful, fun Twilight Zone.


2 Responses to “More Europe than Africa”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Loretta and I want to know if the Camper shoe store is cheaper.

    If so, I'm a size 8 and Loretta is a 5 1/2.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Many people from Europe,America tend to think that Africa is one big jungle with Tarzan swinging like a monkey from one tree branch to the other.Our cities and urban settlements are no different from those in Europe,America...
    We do have rural areas where the amenities you find in cities are not there...and so do we have jungles,though tamed,where you can see a fauna and flora in abundance.
    Your other tragedy is that you only go to the European parts of South Africa...no wonder your being freaked out by the vomit as though it was an invention of Africa.
    Go on and teach them natives in Kenya.
    Welcome to Africa.
    PS.I will go through your blog and will once again pay you a business visit.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3