Adventures in Africa



Holiday. Celebrate.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Continuation of my time at the coast for the holidays. After I did my last update we hired a dhow (an old swahili sailboat) to take us to the beach (a 30 minute ride). I was actually freaked out when the dhow started to tip (as all sailboats do) as I associated it with white water rafting and assumed we were going to tip! Could it be that white water rafting has scarred me for life? I hope not. I will have to take more boat rides and see what happens.

From Lamu we head south again to Watamu. This time there were no chickens in the bus but still a constant soundtrack of Islamic hits were broadcast over the bus’s speakers for the duration of the journey. About 90% of the coastal residents (particularly those in Lamu) are Muslim and it is not uncommon to see women walking around in the FULL burqa (head to toe in black with only eyes showing and sometimes even a veil over the eyes). This was a stark contrast to those handful of tourists (myself included) who were obviously wearing a lot less at the beach.

In Watamu we met up with my friend Lauren & her boyfriend and saw the Gedi Ruins and lots of time on the beach. We did a bit of snorkeling at a reef in the Marine Reserve there and saw thousands of beautiful, brightly coloured fish and coral. I should have bought one of those underwater cameras but didn’t think of it in time. Watamu was nice but didn’t have as much fresh fruit juices or cheap seafood available so we decided that Lamu is officially better. Although I can’t say that we suffered very much in Watamu!

As we head to Mombasa on Dec 31st, Karen and I said our good-bye’s as she head back to Nairobi and then Canada that night. I think Karen took the New Year’s flight just for the free champagne.

I went hopped on the matatu and head south to Tiwi Beach to meet up with 25 friends (most Mountain Club of Kenya members) for New Year’s on the beach. We had a nice grilled fish dinner at our ocean-view cottages (keep in mind they cost us only about $15 a night) and then head to a HUGE party with 4 djs and about 500 people. It was at a club on the beach and we danced all night. When we weren’t dancing we went and hung out on the beach and I chased crabs. It was a lovely, lovely night. The crabs didn’t think so.

We spend 2 more days there and now I’m back in Nairobi. I’m a little stressed because I am leaving bright and early tomorrow morning to go and climb MOUNT KENYA! Huzzah! Africa’s 2nd highest peak after Kilimanjaro! And somehow I got finagled into being one of the coordinators. Responsible for 15 people trekking up the mountain. What? Regardless, I am VERY excited to do this and it is a great group going so we should have a lot of fun if the altitude doesn’t ruin too much of the fun. I will hopefully be up at about 5000 metres sometime on Saturday! Wish me luck.

More photos will be posted upon my return. Sorry so slow - it’s been hectic!


2 Responses to “Holiday. Celebrate.”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Now you have me living vicariously through you. You have great posts, amazing pictures and a really fun awesome attitude and now my wife is getting even more excited to visit later this year. She hasn’t been to Kenya yet.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Don't go falling off a mountain and getting yourself killed.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3