Adventures in Africa



Feathers between my toes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Our Christmas celebration was on Christmas Eve as 15 of us gathered at a friend's house and had a huge feast and lots of drinks. Kenyans, Canadians, Americans, a Russian, an Egyptian, a Frenchman and a Mexican were in attendance. It was quite the party and we ate a lot although I think what filled me up the most was the Mexican Eggnog made by Perla with 12 eggs in it (in a 1 litre jug)! And the recipe called for 26!!! It was good though. Christmas morning Karen and I set off on the bus for Mombasa. It was a long, hot, bumpy busride but we made it in one piece and still managed to have time to check out much of the laid-back coastal city. That night we dined at an amazing waterfront restaurant and had crab for Christmas dinner. I was SO HAPPY.

The next morning we set off for Lamu. This bus is less used by tourists (most people fly) and we were in the very back of the bus sharing the back row with 4 other people. Tight fit. Thing got even tighter as we picked up cargo to bring to Lamu - which eventually included about 30 chickens, with their feet bound to one another in pairs and thrown into the back of the bus (meaning on and under our seats). I must have had 4 chickens on my feet and some under my chair. The ones sitting under Karen kept squacking and flapping its wings and scaring the hell out of Karen. It was a VERY interesting ride. Poor chickens. From there we took the ferry to Lamu and have been here ever since.

This place is breathtakingly beautiful and the atmosphere is so laid-back and charming and the architecture is so interesting. I dont' want to leave. Did I mention there is very cheap seafood? We had lobster last night and have had prawns for lunch every day. The fresh juices come in pint glasses and cost 50cents. My favourite combos so far are banana passion, avocado banana, mango pineapple... the list goes on - I have a goal to drink 3 pints a day minimum.

Ok, long enough post... time to hit the beach! My tan is coming along nicely. Pictures won't be able to be posted until after Jan 2nd when I'm back in Nairobi. From here we head to Watamu tomorrow (checking out Gedi Ruins and going snorkeling) and then Karen leaves and I meet up with friends in Tiwi Beach for a big New Years Party.


1 Responses to “Feathers between my toes”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Wow...what a story you have here Kathryn! My mom told me to check out your blog...wow! You are truly living an adventure! Loved reading about it! Take care of yourself and ENJOY! Cheers!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3