Adventures in Africa



Helen's Magic Hair-dryer


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Saturday morning I decided that I would bite the bullet and go and get my first haircut since arriving in Kenya 5 months ago. My hair was getting fairly long plus Saturday night was also the Mountain Club of Kenya Christmas Party so I figured the timing was right. I was taking a chance when I just picked up a phone book and tried to find the nearest hair salon. I made my appointment at Salon Narcisse and head over to see what I was in store for. Walking up to the salon I got a little nervous. Upon first glance I found that I was the only white person there! Would I be walking out of the place in a few hours with a weave instead of a haircut? Because that is what almost everyone else in there was getting...

I met my stylist Helen and after having my hair washed, I was offered a beverage and was given a 15 minute shoulder and upper back massage. NICE! Then, after I explained what I wanted she got right to it and did a great job. Then came the stressful part. No matter who I go to for a haircut, unless I get my hair dried straight, they ALWAYS butcher my hair and make it as large, frizzy and poofy as humanly possible. Wanting to avoid this (especially since the party was that night) I asked her to dry my hair straight. This is the amazing part (especially for anyone with curly hair). She perfectly straightened my hair using just a brush and a hair dryer. No product! No straightening irons! No rollers! I was in awe! All I could think was... NO PRODUCT!? Could it be that in the western world we have been duped into thinking that such things were necessary as a grand marketing ploy? Most likely. What a great haircut - and for very cheap!

The party itself was great. I somehow managed to be talked into playing a part in the ‘skit’. Then there was much dining and drinking and dancing until dawn. But that didn’t stop me from getting up this morning to go and see Harry Potter.

Special guest Karen arrives tomorrow night! Also, more exciting news announcements to come... stay tuned.


1 Responses to “Helen's Magic Hair-dryer”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I love the name of that salon!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3