Adventures in Africa



Unexpected Weekend in Town


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I was under the impression that I was to accompany Rosemarie (my boss) to Western Kenya to visit the field this weekend but it has been cancelled. My backup plan was a Mountain Club trip to the Aberdare National Park. But last minute I realized I was just really in the mood to stick around town this weekend and take it easy! One problem with having so many fun things to do is that you get a little burnt out. I haven't slept in for 3 weeks and I think I'm due!

This is actually a long weekend here because on Monday there is the vote for the new Constitution! So far there have been 4 deaths due to the rallies for or against the new constitution with fruit being the symbols of the sides that you can vote for (Bananas = Yes, Oranges = No). This is about the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of. Not only that but apparently it has had a real impact on the banana and orange market in Kenya.

I am just looking forward to it being over and done with and hope that there are no more casualties due to the rallies. I am just avoiding the downtown core on Monday. I might host a referendum brunch on Monday so we can eat delicious breakfast foods and watch the news to see what is happening in this crazy country!


0 Responses to “Unexpected Weekend in Town”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3