Adventures in Africa



Alternate Universe


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sometimes it is easy to forget that I am in Africa. Last night I was convinced to go to Karaoke with a few friends. Ok, so it didn't take much convincing. Jacqueline and I ended up belting out “Livin' on a Prayer” in front of a delighted/horrified audience at the hotel bar we were at. It was mostly locals who were brave enough to go on stage but there were quite a few foreign hotel guest who were enjoying the show. I will have to go again.

The orange (NO) team won the referendum. No new constitution for you Kenya – not yet anyway! Back to the drawing board.

Cell Phone Etiquette in Kenya: There is none. If you are at a conference having a round table discussion you will often find people's cell phones ringing and them leaving to answer the calls. Or even worse sometimes people will remain at the table and talk. We have been in the middle of several staff meetings where at some point in the meeting almost half of the staff is off talking on their cell phones while the meeting continues without them. Obviously this is just a cultural difference that I am not used to but it still shocks me when people do that here.

Breaking News: Kenyan President Kibaki has just fired his entire cabinet. Maybe he is a little pissed that he lost the referendum (and that many in his cabinet didn't support his new constitution)? This could lead to some reaction from the people. I wonder what will happen...


0 Responses to “Alternate Universe”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3