Adventures in Africa



Christmas Spirit


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I am having such a hard time grasping the concept that Christmas is coming soon. I mean, there are decorations all over the place here, Christmas music playing, everyone is talking about what they will be doing over the holidays... but the weather.. it is sunny and warm and nice – it messes with my head. I really don't feel Christmassy! Even Christmas parties and mulled wine haven't put me in the Christmas spirit. I would try eggnog but that is one thing I haven't seen here!

Last night at a Scandinavian Christmas party a bunch of us were sitting around talking about the opportunities that you have in Kenya that you have in so few other places. As there is a long weekend coming up everyone was discussing their plans. 2 people were going to the coast to go diving, a handful of people were going to the Maasai Mara for safari, another couple were going to Ethiopia and someone else was going hiking near Mount Kenya. There are limitless things that you can do here – all for very little money. Particularly for the people like me who are only in Kenya temporarily – you feel like you have to take as much advantage of these opportunities as possible – a weekend wasted is a complete CRIME here when you may have missed an incredible opportunity.

Karen seems to be adapting nicely. She is venturing out on her own and honing her bartering skills in the market. This weekend we are off to the Maasai Mara National Park for a game drive and for a concert.

I went to see Harry Potter last weekend. Have I mentioned that in the movies here they play the national anthem before the film? Also, most films have an intermission half-way through if it is 2 hours long or more. I always forget they do this and when the movie suddenly freezes on the screen I think the film has broken or something and get really angry until I realize it is just a break.

And in Kenya news – President Kibaki fired his entire cabinet 2 weeks ago after his humiliating defeat when the proposed new constitution was not passed. Yesterday he announced his new cabinet and 19 ministers refused their postings. The government is in limbo now as from what I understand they are in recess until after the holidays. The masses are very much against Kibaki (as is much of his own party). What will happen now is anyone's guess.


0 Responses to “Christmas Spirit”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3