Adventures in Africa



Excitement in the City


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The excitement never ends here. There have been protests over the last 3 days that have resulted in riots and one person being killed. One of the co-workers of another intern who is here was actually shot by the police during the protests (but not killed). Apparently all of this took place near parliament in an area downtown but other than some increased traffic, no one I spoke to really noticed any commotion outside of that small area. I think I'll be refraining from taking part in any demonstrations while here. Getting shot at really isn't my thing.

I apologize to all of my film-industry friends but on Wednesday, I caved. I bought a pirated DVD. For about $6 Canadian, I got 5 movies – Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Madagascar, Sin City, The Longest Yard, and Batman Begins. They are very obviously filmed inside a cinema, you can hear the people laughing and the picture quality isn't great, but it will sure combat my boredom on some weeknights when the only thing on tv is the News (in Swahili) or Oprah. Oprah is on about 10 times a day. It feels like every time I turn on the tv, Oprah is out there with Clay Aitkin, fulfilling people's dreams. Although it could be worse. It could be Doctor Phil.

Last night was Indian Theme night! Not on purpose – it just worked out that way. I met up with Lauren, another intern from Canada, and Tim, a Dutch guy here doing research on mangoes that she met at the YMCA where she is staying until her apartment is available. We found this delicious Indian restaurant called “The New Three Bells” and I was finally treated to some food that I actually LOVE. Not that the food is bad here. It's just nothing that I say “Mmmmm” after biting into. I got some AMAZING saag paneer and naan. Delicious. I still have to find a place that has butter chicken. But mark my words - if there is butter chicken anywhere in this city, I will find it! Then we head to the cinema to check out an Indian film! It was hilarious – total Bollywood style musical! There was even an intermission. Modern story about a doctor in Mumbai who is pretends he is married so that he doesn't have to make a commitment to any of his “girlfriends” but then he falls in love and wants to marry one girl and she wants to meet his wife before he divorces her. Chaos, musical numbers and numerous costume changes ensue. Very, very entertaining but it kind of dragged on at the end. It had English subtitles but bits and pieces of the dialog were in English anyway. Good times.


1 Responses to “Excitement in the City”

  1. Blogger Mariza 

    Okay Kathryn, the real shame should lie in the fact that you paid any amount of money to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3