Adventures in Africa



I made it...


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm in Kenya!!

There were a few glitches just getting me out of Canada but after all the waiting, I'm here! Thursday I was kind of freaking out about getting everything done before my departure, and was ready to call the cab to head to the airport when... my cell phone was out of service. I had asked them to disconnect it on July 8th - not 7th! I had been using it all day and was at Amie & Michele's place with no access to a phone (they were both at work). I ended up having to lug all my suitcases over to the nearest major street and hail a cab. Not fun in the Toronto heat. Quite the difference in Nairobi, where when we landed it was only 10C! It's still pretty chilly today. Who knew that I'd be walking around in a sweater, fleece and jeans? I think someone was lying when they said it's hot in Africa - that's probably just to attract tourists!!

I was picked up from the airport and whisked away to my apartment. It's a bachelor, fairly small but very clean. The major perks are that it is 5 minutes away from the nearest "mall" which has grocery, clothing and drug stores, a movie theatre with recent films (War of the Worlds & others) and this internet cafe. There is also someone who cleans my room once a day and a pool. I'll post some photos of it soon.

I was initially quite exhausted and disoriented after not sleeping on the flights but managed to sleep for 11 hours and am feeling much better. The people here are extremely friendly and the guys on the street selling pirated DVDs were nice enough to tell me about this internet cafe. Now I just have to go find a bank that accepts my bank card!


0 Responses to “I made it...”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3