Adventures in Africa



Boiling Water - SUPER FUN!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm having a great time. Who knew that boiling water (a 20 minute rolling boil) about 3 times a day could be so much fun. But the funny thing is - I'm actually enjoying EVERY SECOND. Everything is so different here. From the commercials - "Wheatabix - it's UNBEATABIX!", to the way the air smells - kind of a mixture of dust, diesel, and bbq'd meat, to the driving - both on the "wrong side of the road" and they don't obey traffic signals! I'm sure once I get used to things here - the little eccentricities will wear thin and perhaps even annoying but I'm enjoying it while I can.

Work is also quite great - but different. The pace of everything is very different. You ask someone for something and you are lucky to get it in an hour. This was nicely illustrated a few days ago when a Prof from UCLA who is here doing a joint research project with CSA was freaking out because some of the data was unusable and newer versions of the files couldn't be found. Rosemarie, our director, was so calm and told her that they would get the files to her - DON'T WORRY! And then did. Eventually. I think it was today actually. It's funny too how there are certain character types of people that emerge in almost every culture. There's this one guy at our office named Fred who is this tall, gangly, jokester guy. I swear I've met at least 5 other people who remind me of him in the past. But he's a Masaai (the warrior tribe) - although I could picture him playing basketball or doing stand-up comedy more than fighting tribal wars.

Today, I went into downtown for the first time. I mentioned to the CSA (work) people that I was going to buy a cell phone after work. They assumed that I would get ripped off at the North American-style mall that I was going to go to and took it upon themselves to take me downtown to get a better deal. I don't think I saved that much in the end but it was SUPER fun going downtown. We had to catch a "mutato" - these vans that they pack people into - sometimes only half slowing down before picking someone up and take you along specified routes for dirt cheap (about 40cents for a 20 minute ride). Downtown is much nicer than I thought. I was hearing horror stories but honestly, it's quite nice. More and more, Nairobi reminds me of Lima. I mean, it's not the cleanest or the most peaceful of cities but it's not a crazy hell hole or anything. And I haven’t really gotten any negative attention - I got stared at more when I was in Japan than here.

This weekend I think I'll venture back downtown to meet up with another intern from Canada. She lives on the other side of the city so the centre is probably the most logical place to meet up initially. Mutato (moo tah toe). I'll try and get some photos of this craziness. Eventually.


4 Responses to “Boiling Water - SUPER FUN!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I think I might have to start using the word "unbeatabix" in daily conversation. Even if it has nothing to do with Wheatabix.

    Sounds like your work people are taking good care of you, not letting you get ripped off, showing you the downtown core isn't as scary as you thought, and such.

    I can't wait to see pics of Kenya that aren't of the inside of your flat. C'mon Kathryn. I know you have pics, miss shutterbug! Stop holdin out on us! ;)

    As for the weather in Tdot, it's still as uncomfortable as a fat man in a crowded subway.

    xx

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Glad to hear that you having a fab time. Enjoy every minute!
    Also I'm proud to say that I witnessed the whole grub eating thing, so bravo on the beef (which is a lot harder on the stomach I think)!
    What does Nairobi LOOK LIKE?
    V:)

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Kathryn!

    It sounds like you're having such a good time already; that's so great!! I'm glad to hear that you made it safe and sound.

    I can't wait to see more pics of Kenya. :-)

    Take Care,
    Angie

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Wow, that's what ATHENS smells like too!!!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3