Adventures in Africa



Night Out


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Friday I went out for dinner with Lauren (intern) and Tim (Dutch guy) and they each brought a friend - Lauren brought another intern from Canada (Nelly) who she met at a training and Tim brought a American/British/Singapore guy who works in the same office as him (Darryl).

We went for semi-crappy thai food and then out to sample some expat/mwzungu/foreigner nightlife. First was Gipsys - playing retro 80s music as we sat down to some drinks and people watching. Quite the mix - especially with the music - The Lion Sleeps Tonight? That 80s song about the Rain the Falls in Africa? What is this? Africa the Disney Ride? Funny stuff.

Then Nelly's cousin who lives here and a couple of his American friends came and met up with us. One lived in Nairobi, and his friend was there to visit. His pal was pretty drunk and couldnt stop telling us about this ebony that he found in the slums - and he bought it for like 200shillings and got them to make a pipe out of it with a naked lady on it and “I hope they don’t confiscate it at the border - because you know ebony is illegal!!”. He was so excited. I think he meant ivory, not EBONY. I am sure Michael Jackson gets confused too...

Then we went to this really, really swanky place that honestly could be in New York or Montreal. All hand made furniture (wood) - rich tones and tapestries and the drink list was amazing. Also the tapas. Plus they gave you olives on your table. I think that is what got me so excited! Very nice place. People triple air kissing each other all over the place. I felt slightly underdressed in my fleece but what are you going to do... I will have to head back there if I ever get a better wardrobe…


0 Responses to “Night Out”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

www.flickr.com

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3